Sunday 17 July 2011

The Recap of the Week I Give Everything Up

Last Monday I noted that I would be giving up TV watching, and that while I was at it, I was going to give up eating wheat, dairy, sugar and sweetener too.

So it's the last day of this proposed week I give everything up and since cheating on my first day --

I cheated on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Sigh?

Here's the thing -- I did cut down drastically on my intake of television, super-processed protein bars with 6 unfriendly grams of saturated fats each, as well as the extra coffee I drink every morning. I had all but two diet pops instead of 6 or 7 over the course of the week. And while I did indeed fail at this "giving up" experiment, I did manage to remember super healthy old habits of mine like drinking green tea and working out before zoning out in front of the TV. What's more is that I probably read more than I usually do, not counting what I read everyday as part of my job, or what I read to Jimi (picture Hop on Pop, or the four hundredth time I read The Very Hungry Caterpillar. That Caterpillar showed me the way!)

Anyway, I was jonesing and starting to realize what a pain in the ass it was not to eat wheat, especially when pizza is my favourite food. What was I going to bring home on Friday night for dinner? A rice cake topped with tomato sauce? And then there was the birthday party, impromptu trip to Arby's on Saturday -- yes, Arby's, the most special restaurant there is -- where there is no possible way of not ingesting sugar or dairy or wheat unless you eat the meat plain and by itself and that would just be an exercise in masochism.

Morale of the story: really, Nikki? Give up wheat, dairy, TV and sweetener? Time to move to the organic veggie farm, harvest adzuki beans and read crystals to see the future. Then put on your hemp pajamas and get on your high horse to save those endangered whales. Then have a baby and don't tell anyone what the sex of the baby is, cause you know what, that would be the next damn step!

Good night.

1 comment:

  1. too much to give up in one week!! I love reading your blogs, so entertaining. Hungry caterpillar?? why so much?? is it a favourite?? Arbys... you finally got to eat it!! so exciting!! haha.. was it amazing?? Keep writing, I'll keep reading! Andrea

    ReplyDelete